Digital Services Library Specialist -- Allen Public Library -- Allen, TX
Salary: $15.82-$19.38 Hourly
Location: Allen, TX
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: 02316
Closing: 4/16/2021 5:00PM Central
With over 100,000 residents, the City of Allen is a dynamic and welcoming community. The City of Allen's strong economy, diverse population, great educational institutions and quality of life makes it the ideal place to work, live, and play. The City of Allen has something to offer for everyone.
The City's Mission, is "To achieve excellence in managing development of the community and in providing city services so that conditions of living and public confidence are continually enhanced".
Our employees serve the citizens of Allen with the following values:
- People First – Giving priority to others
- Respect – Treating others with courtesy and dignity
- Integrity – Serving with honesty, trust and hard work
- Deliver – Following through on commitments while exceeding expectations
- Excel – Creating an innovative and improving work environment
Staffs public service desks, answering questions and taking requests from users, helping users with library resources and equipment, and making recommendations for library materials. Position provides support by assisting and instructing library users, evaluating digital services and technologies, and participating in programming and outreach. This position will provide administrative support and will interface with other City employees and the public. This position does not provide direction to other employees.
This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The following examples do not identify all duties performed by any single incumbent.
- Provides customer service by welcoming users, answering questions in person, over the phone and by email, and directing users to other staff members as appropriate.
- Provides reference and informational assistance, including instruction and demonstration of library digital services and technologies.
- Researches and evaluates new and/or enhanced digital services and technologies.
- Contributes to the development and implementation of library programs, outreach, and special events.
- Assists in marketing library services and resources through print materials, webpages and social media.
- Coordinates the safe and proper use of the facility and its equipment through situational awareness and ongoing communication with users and staff. Assists in opening and/or closing the facility by organizing service desks and public-facing areas.
- Provides administrative support by ensuring operational functions are completed, overseeing the use of library facilities, and preparing and keeping statistics. Maintains equipment, materials and supplies as necessary.
- Formal Education / Knowledge - Work requires broad knowledge in a general professional or technical field. Knowledge is normally acquired through four years of college resulting in a Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
- Experience - Under and including one year.
- Certification and Other Requirements - Valid Class C Drivers License.
- Overall Physical Strength Demands - Sedentary - Exerting up to 10 lbs. occasionally or negligible weights frequently; sitting most of the time.
Advanced - Ability to read literature, books, reviews, scientific or technical journals, abstracts, financial reports, and/or legal documents. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in at the college level or above. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Intermediate - Ability to deal with system of real numbers; practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios/proportions and measurement. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Advanced - Ability to write editorials, journals, speeches, manuals, or critiques. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in at the college level or above. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Receives general direction: The employee normally performs the job by following established standard operating procedures and/or policies. The employee may choose the appropriate procedure or policy. Performance is reviewed periodically.
Supervisory / Organizational Control
Job has no responsibility for the direction or supervision of others.
Work requires analysis and judgment in accomplishing diversified duties. Requires the exercise of independent thinking within the limits of policies, standards, and precedents.
Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills
Work may require providing advice to others outside direct reporting relationships on specific problems or general policies. Contacts may require the consideration of different points of view to reach agreement. Elements of persuasion may be necessary to gain cooperation and acceptance of ideas.
Agency: City of Allen
305 Century Parkway
Allen, Texas, 75013